Friday, May 8, 2009

Stationery Paper-Gobbling Junkie



I need a new address book.

Before you go all 21st century on me, yes I do have a phone with space to store contact info, no I do not want an iPhone or a Blackberry, yes I do have a Moleskine planner that I could use but for heaven's sake it's a PLANNER, and no I do not want to have to log in to my e-mail or get to a computer every time I want to look up my grandfather's zip code. And yes I am using every ounce of my boredom to waste my time writing about address books right now.

I kick it old-school with paper a lot of the time, which I realize is somewhat eco-unfriendly. For that I am sorry. But I do my part, so I should be allowed a planner and an address book, right? But in looking through my address book, I am reminded of a very simple time wherein I thought I would have to record the address and phone number of every girl I ever talked to in middle school because I thought one day we would be good friends/pen-pals and I would have so many girl pals that I would need to keep them all in a book. So I copied a bunch of useless people's info from the middle school directory.

Now I have a little purple book full of minutiae like Sharon Never-Talked-To-Her's parents' house and Jennifer Lost-Touch-After-Graduation's ancient cell phone number. I do have useful family contact info and important best friend addresses, but it's not working for me.



In considering how much we twenty-somethings move around, for college and for jobs, things in address books begin to look a little creepy and obsessive, since we accumulate 3+ entries for single individuals. But now. Now all will change.

I have a revolutionary idea. I want to design an address book that is simple and not ugly, and it will have regular single-entry pages for Joe & Sarah Married-for-Fifteen-Years-and-Living-in-Napa, but also it will have a page under each letter for my college peeps. These college peeps entries will have a section for FOUR ADDRESSES! WHOA! College 1, College 2 and then Real Life 1 and Real Life 2! Because honestly who really sticks with their first life plan after college?

It's revolutionary and I bet I could make a sweet $17 from all six people who would buy it from me. (Listen, I don't have great mass-production resources ok) Here is a schematical blue/turquoiseprint because I know you're just itching to wrap your mind around this awesomeness.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Emma said...

lol, i bet you could too! (make moneyz with that plan) especially if you use recycled paper etc.! (or you could just buy a recycled paper address book ;) ) and use erasable pen for when people's addresses change :-p except sometimes it's secretly hard to erase.

also, i love the humus rap

Cherry said...

I would buy it if I hadn't already succumbed to the Blackberry thing. *sob*

KT said...

I like the use of the comic sans at the bottom of the schematic...makes it very classy!