Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Age of A-Curious


Magnolia Blue
Originally uploaded by another planet

Bad pun about a musical I've never seen.

I've been thinking about age a lot lately. My translation professor is in the throes of old age, medical problems and all, and it worries me (except when he reminds us with vigor that he is still a crazy old Frenchman). I'm growing up, myself, and I'm learning things and getting customarily frustrated by how little I'm actually helping out in the world.

And I'm seeing just how much age can affect interpersonal relationships. The people I spend time with at school are no more than three years ahead or behind me, but sometimes those few years make a difference. (Or do they?)

I am such a different person than I was freshman year, and I can't help thinking that the current freshmen are only the beginnings of what they'll become next year, the year after, and the year after that. Can I really trust the ways they act now - their insecure, judgmental arguments and generalizations? If I can't trust that, what about the parts that seem genuine, the nice comments and the good times?

What makes me even more confused is that people my age are getting married. Engagements are popping up like crazy, and I think it's unwise. True, I do not know these frantic fiancés intimately, but I find it very hard to believe that they have grown up enough to be planning the rest of their lives when I have barely begun to understand the current part of my life.

Sure, sure, I haven't had a very exciting life. But I do consider myself a mature and reflective person, and I think I am thoughtful enough to consider the consequences of turning a fledgling relationship (less than a year in some cases! seriously, people?!) into a permanent life choice.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Maybe these people aren't planning their entire lives, and they're just planning the first of several marriages. If that's the case... well, it's really no better than what I originally thought it was and I'm super depressed about the world.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: