Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Holiday Getaway

Luckily, no news is good news here, as they say. I haven't updated in a while because emotions haven't been particularly high and I've been spending my time having myself a proper summer. Although I am a self-proclaimed homebody, I have certainly learned the hard way over the years that spending all my time in the house is no good for me. Nor is it for anyone, I tend to think. It is, of course, a comfortable place, which makes it feel so incredibly good and safe, but we can't possibly live our lives and find inspiration or creativity by keeping ourselves in these modern comfort pods all the time.

I spent a wonderful weekend out in Sonoma county exploring nature and being taken under the wing of a whole new family for a couple days. My time was spent swimming in the river, walking the dog, playing board games, eating ice cream, baking a pie, reading, catching up with an old friend, and appreciating the blessing of doing new things. As simple as they may be, the delights of lighting my first-ever sparkler and baking a gluten-free pie crust for my friend's father were refreshing and sweet.

To offer a brief update on de-cluttering though, I should say that my room's transformation is fairly complete - after the junk haulers took my bed, we moved our foldout couch into my room. I am in love with the fact that I can pack up my bed every day and instantly gain an extra five to six square feet of space. I now have plenty of room to practice the backbend I'm trying to perfect by the end of the summer. (Hey, I'm not getting any younger, and it's good yoga practice!) Plus, moving the couch freed up considerable space in the living room. I'm hoping to rearrange our bookcases better in that area soon. Oh, the thrill of homemaking!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: